Mikayla Skouson, PDM
With PDM of course standing for Professional Decision Maker.
I know you may be younger or older than me, but at the ripe old age of 27 years old, I have made millions and millions of decisions. Just this year alone, I have made at least 2 major decision involving my career, and place of dwelling. It is amazing how difficult these decisions are becoming.
My mantra for my 27th year has been to
USE MY TIME JUDICIOUSLY.
I'm not even sure that JUDICIOUSLY is even a word...(true confessions, this is the first time I have seen the word in writing, so it looks really funny to me...like JUICIOUSLY...or BOOTYLICIOUS...What...No, MOM, I know, I am super embarrassed about that, I promise to clean up my language:)
Anyway, Back to me:)
On Sunday of this week, I was prompted to give up my watching of television. You don't have to, but I happen to be trying to escape my reality through reality television. I have watched hours and hours for the last few years...mainly since the rise of Netflix and Hulu and any internet television I could lay my eyeballs upon.
So, after church, I gave up television for the next 6 months...because it was my half birthday and I needed an end date for this goal, because I knew it would be very difficult for me.
Let's just say that Sunday was a boring day. Monday was a little easier. Life is pretty busy during the week and I would usually just spend the last few hours of the night watching television. But what I have noticed over the last 5 days is that I am able to deal with the emotions that come up, as they come up.
Decision making is rough, and I feel that I need to be conscience for the decisions I am making. I know that seems like everyone should understand that, but it is really hard to make big decisions when your brain is being clogged by the need to watch every new episode of every new show. Plus isn't binge watching way more fun that digging down in your core and trying to figure out what is wrong with your mind? DUH...TV IS MORE FUN!
Well, let me get to the point of this post.
I have found some things that have helped me start on this journey of MINDFUL DECISION MAKING. I had a break down yesterday afternoon in between my school job and my private studio job at about 3:30. My mom started sending me all of this GOLDEN INFORMATION by about 4:15 pm. She is so good at knowing how to help me through all of my issues!
1. http://www.lifewithfingerprints.com/2015/08/pivot.html This was the first thing she sent me. This blog post introduced me to the idea of having a life PIVOT instead of a life CHANGE. I love that idea.
2. The next thing she sent me was this podcast call THE LIVELY SHOW. Jess Lively, the interviewer, had on Sherry and John Petersik from Young House Love. They talked about their life pivot. It is a brilliant podcast. She helps your live your life intentionally and with Values with a Capital V. Jess Lively is still really new in my life and I will spend many more hours researching and trying to understand the things she teaches. You can access her podcast right from her website. http://jesslively.com
3. This quote is stolen from my health coach Kara Herron.
Successful women have courage in the face of fear
Unsuccessful women feel sorry for themselves when things don't go as planned
Successful women have a belief in their ability to navigate obstacles when they come
Unsuccessful women give up once they fail
Successful women have relationships that strengthen them rather than weaken them
Unsuccessful women have relationships that drain their time and energy
Successful women have goals that are authentic to their deepest needs and desires
Unsuccessful women define success by society's standards rather than their own
Successful women have a sense of purpose and vision
Unsuccessful women put successful women on a pedestal, as though there is some secret success formula they don't have access to
Successful women have a perspective on life that accepts failure and mistakes as a normal part of the journey
Unsuccessful women strive as though success is a destination, a place where they "arrive"
Successful women have a habit of saying "no" to good opportunities in favor of purposeful ones
Unsuccessful women focus on what they don't have rather than what they do have
Successful women have a willingness to take risks
Unsuccessful women are eternal procrastinators who won't get started because they fear failure and imperfection.
As I continue on my PDM career, I will try to follow these things. Over the next little while, I will work on documenting how I am continuing to find happiness and peace in my journey I call life.
Happy Adventuring

No comments:
Post a Comment